The archives hold records documenting the activities of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (formerly called the League of Red Cross Societies) that date from the foundation of the League in 1919.
The principle topics are: governance of the IFRC; disaster relief operations; refugee relief operations; health, especially nursing education, blood donation/transfusion, community health; Junior Red Cross (children); Centenary of the Red Cross; Red Cross Red Crescent and peace.
- Current publications of the IFRC are available online.
- Out-of-print publications are available for consultation in the archives. (Click on Advanced Search, then check “Publications of IFRC” box before searching.)
- Historic films and videos are available online.
The archival records are open to the public only by appointment with an archivist.
Contact the archivist
For further information on the archives, or to arrange an appointment with an archivist, please contact the archivists at the IFRC secretariat in Geneva:
Tel: +41 22 730 42 39 / +41 22 730 43 19
Fax: +41 22 733 03 95
Rules governing access to the IFRC archives
Archives of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- American Red Cross
- Australian Red Cross
- Belgian Red Cross (Flemish section)
Contact the State Archives in Belgium
- British Red Cross
- Danish Red Cross
- Finnish Red Cross
- French Red Cross
- German Red Cross
- Association of the German Red Cross Museums
- Red Crescent Society of the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Japanese Red Cross Society
The archives of the Japanese Red Cross Society are held in two locations:
- Norwegian Red Cross
- The Red Cross of Serbia
- Turkish Red Crescent Society
- International Red Cross and Red Cresent Museum (Geneva)