Nepal Red Cross Society was admitted to the IFRC in 1965. In 2015, it counted 21,109 active volunteers (up from 20,000 in 2009). Most recently it has been instrumental in the immediate and long-term response to the earthquakes in Kahtmandu.
Latest news from Nepal Red Cross Society
The Nepal Red Cross and the IFRC have committed to take action to respond to and prevent Sexual and Gender-based Violence (SGBV) in times of disasters, as well as advocate for more inclusive disaster management approaches in law, policy and practice. As part of this, they partnered with the Forum for Women and Law Development in Nepal to deepen the analysis and connections between disaster law and policy, gender equality and SGBV in times of disaster.
Pasang Tamang’s face lights up as she chats with visitors on the veranda outside her new house. “I feel more secure here than in the temporary shelter,” says Pasang. The temporary shelter was made of corrugated iron, which was home to her and her fami …
Bimala Pariya, 60, would never have suspected that she would lose everything she owned to the recent flooding in Nepal. The floods not only destroyed her house in the Sunsari District of Nepal, but swept away her toilet, pig shed, household items, and damaged the fresh water well behind her home.
Whenever Deepak Giri remembers the tragic events in the early hours of August 14, 2017, he cannot help but relive a powerful mix of emotions. “I would feel exhausted. At times scared, but also happy to have played a role in my community,” the 29-year-old says.
Juusman Tharu, 50, and her family have spent the last week clearing the mud and debris from their house in western Nepal. Her husband has now started to repair the damage, using all the materials he can gather together. But all is far from well.
For Sushama Khatiwada, saving lives and helping people as part of the Nepal Red Cross Society is a family affair.
Nepal Red Cross Society videos
- Chairman: Mr. Sanjiv THAPA
- Secretary General: Mr. Dev Ratna DHAKHWA
- Treasurer General: Mr. Devendra Bahadur PRADHAN
- Acting Executive Director: Mr. Indra BAHADUR KC
- Head of Earthquake Response Operations: Mr. Umesh DHAKAL
- Head of Organization Development Department: Mr. Bishnu Hari DEVKOTA
- Director of Blood Transfusion Service Department: Ms. Manita Raj KARNIKAR
- Director of Community Development Department: Mr. Akarshan PRADHAN
- Acting Director for Junior and Youth Red Cross Department: Mr. Sudarshan ADHIKARI
- Acting Director for Disaster Management Department: Mr. Dharma Raj PANDEY
- Acting Director Finance Department: Mr. Dharma Dutta BIDARI
- Acting Director for Health Service Department: Mrs. Mona ARYAL
- Acting Director for Human Resource Management Department: Mr. Rishi Raman KHANAL
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Coordinator: Ms Puja KOIRALA
- Head of Humanitarian Value and Communication Department: Mr. Dibya Raj POUDEL