The IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Office works in support of 38 National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and Country Offices, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Asia Pacific
For the past several weeks, the Philippine Red Cross emergency healthcare unit in the Philippines have been tending to the youngest of patients, children and babies coughing with fever, and whose bodies and faces are covered in red rashes. In early February, the local authorities declared a measles outbreak and since then 355 people have died, most of them children under 5 years of age.
Story by: Susan Cullinan, Australian Red Cross Images Tiane Hokins/Dave Hancock, Australian Red Cross Elder Joyce Dirdi has spent four days away from her homelands in the remote Northern Territory township of Booroloola. She’s among 1000 people shelter …
It has been six months since Sulawesi was hit by a powerful and shallow earthquake, tsunami and liquefaction. While survivors face a slow and complex road to recovery, many jumped immediately into action to help others who were even worse off.
Sukmuang Tippadoe, 92, lives alone in his home in Huai Ping Village in Thailand’s northern province of Lamphun. Apart from a recurring skin rash, he says he’s trying to stay healthy to avoid going to the doctors.
Three-year-old Mohammed Sofit lies on the cold bare earth inside his family home. For the last 24 hours he has been suffering from chicken pox – an all too familiar ailment in the sprawling Kutapalong camp, built into steep hillsides close to the Myanmar-Bangladesh border.
Country cluster support teams
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Beijing: Gwendolyn Pang
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Delhi: Leon Prop
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Bangkok: Hung Ha Nguyen
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Indonesia & Timor-Leste: Jan Gelfand
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Pacific: Kathryn Clarkson
- Head of Country Office, Afghanistan: Ariel Kestens
- Head of Country Office, Bangladesh: Azmat Ulla
- Head of Delegation, DPRK: Mohamed Babiker
- Head of Country Office, Myanmar: Joy Singhal
- Head of Country Office, Nepal: Juja Kim
- Special Senior Advisor, Country Office, Pakistan: Thomas Gurtner
- Head of Country Office, Philippines: Chris Staines
Recent press releases
- Japanese Red Cross Society
- Kiribati Red Cross Society
- Red Cross Society of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- The Republic of Korea National Red Cross
- Lao Red Cross
- Malaysian Red Crescent Society
- Maldivian Red Crescent
- Marshall Islands Red Cross
- Micronesia Red Cross
- Mongolian Red Cross Society
Focus: World First Aid Day 2017
On 9 September 2017, the world marks World First Aid Day, an annual opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of first aid knowledge and skills to save lives, and to advocate for these to be accessible to everyone. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s leading first aid provider. For more than 100 years, first aid has been one of the principal services provided by Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers and staff to injured people.
This year, Prudence Foundation in partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), will launch its regional SAFE STEPS First Aid campaign.
Learn more here