The IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Office works in support of 38 National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and Country Offices, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Asia Pacific
Their motto is ‘Always ready. Always there. Always first.’ And that is what the Philippine Red Cross staff and volunteers were when typhoon Rosita – internationally known as Yutu – threatened their islands at the end of October.
On 5 November it will be 3 months since a destructive and shallow earthquake measuring 6.4 magnitude and multiple aftershocks struck the island of Lombok, Indonesia. The epicentre was located inland, near Loloan Village in North Lombok Regency.
Meat is a luxury for people who have fled violence in Rakhine state and who are now living in camps in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Many of them live on a diet of rice, lentils, seasonal vegetables, spices, wheat and dry fish, most of which are food they are not used to eating.
Three months since the collapse of Laos’ Xe-Pian XeNamnoy hydropower dam cut a path of destruction through 13 villages in the province of Attapeu, many communities, including that of Mai Village, are finally able to move into government-built temporary housing after spending weeks in emergency shelters.
Dr Davitan is treating Nona, 60, for a fractured arm suffered in the tragic earthquake that shook parts of western Sulawesi to pieces late September. Minutes later, the Indonesian Red Cross ambulance navigates the cracked and damaged road, following the young man on his motorcycle. Seconds after arriving, the doctor and paramedic carefully assess Asriyah, 57, discovering a fractured upper leg. It’s the biggest bone in her body, the femur.
Country cluster support teams
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Beijing: Gwendolyn Pang
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Delhi: Leon Prop
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Bangkok: Hung Ha Nguyen
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Indonesia & Timor-Leste: Jan Gelfand
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Pacific: Kathryn Clarkson
- Head of Country Office, Afghanistan: Ariel Kestens
- Head of Country Office, Bangladesh: Azmat Ulla
- Head of Delegation, DPRK: Mohamed Babiker
- Head of Country Office, Myanmar: Joy Singhal
- Head of Country Office, Nepal: Juja Kim
- Special Senior Advisor, Country Office, Pakistan: Thomas Gurtner
- Head of Country Office, Philippines: Chris Staines
Recent press releases
- Japanese Red Cross Society
- Kiribati Red Cross Society
- Red Cross Society of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- The Republic of Korea National Red Cross
- Lao Red Cross
- Malaysian Red Crescent Society
- Maldivian Red Crescent
- Marshall Islands Red Cross
- Micronesia Red Cross
- Mongolian Red Cross Society
Focus: World First Aid Day 2017
On 9 September 2017, the world marks World First Aid Day, an annual opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of first aid knowledge and skills to save lives, and to advocate for these to be accessible to everyone. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s leading first aid provider. For more than 100 years, first aid has been one of the principal services provided by Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers and staff to injured people.
This year, Prudence Foundation in partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), will launch its regional SAFE STEPS First Aid campaign.
Learn more here