The IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Office works in support of 38 National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and Country Offices, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Asia Pacific
Written by: Musfarayani, IFRC, as told by Indonesian Red Cross psychosocial support volunteer, Thia It’s drizzling in Maluku, Indonesia, where communities have recently been affected by an earthquake, but that doesn’t affect the cheerful mood of child …
One year ago, on 28 September 2018, the Indonesian island of Sulawesi was hit by a triple disaster that killed more than 4,300 people and displaced 173,000.
Nurjahan, together with her children, 10-year-old Mohammod Yunus (left), nine-year-old Norjuna and eight-year-old Mohammod Shofiq, live in a mega camp where hundreds of thousands of people face rain, strong winds, landslides, and flooding. Two years ago, they walked for 15 days before crossing the Naf River by boat to find safety in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
In August 2017, violence in Rakhine, Myanmar, resulted in over 700,000 people fleeing to Cox’s Bazar district of Bangladesh. Two years on, families continue to live in makeshift shelters in crowded camps.
Extremely heavy rains in mid-July caused severe flooding in the Indian states of Assam and Bihar. The floods affected more than 14 million people, displaced over a million and destroyed a vast amount of farmland. Whole houses were submerged and entire villages were cut off.
Country cluster support teams
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Beijing: Gwendolyn Pang
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Delhi: Alka Kapoorsharma
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Bangkok: Hung Ha Nguyen
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Indonesia & Timor-Leste: Jan Gelfand
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Pacific: Kathryn Clarkson
- Head of Country Office, Afghanistan: Pierre Kremer
- Head of Country Office, Bangladesh: Azmat Ulla
- Head of Delegation, DPRK: Mohamed Babiker
- Head of Country Office, Myanmar: Joy Singhal
- Head of Country Office, Nepal: Juja Kim
- Head of Country Office, Papua New Guinea: Udaya Regmi
- Special Senior Advisor, Country Office, Pakistan: Thomas Gurtner
- Head of Country Office, Philippines: Chris Staines
Recent press releases
- Japanese Red Cross Society
- Kiribati Red Cross Society
- Red Cross Society of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- The Republic of Korea National Red Cross
- Lao Red Cross
- Malaysian Red Crescent Society
- Maldivian Red Crescent
- Marshall Islands Red Cross Society
- Micronesia Red Cross
- Mongolian Red Cross Society
Focus: Faces of Climate Change
Millions of people around the world are already suffering from the impacts of the climate crisis, with some 400 extreme weather events every year, about four times as many as in the 1970s. The impacts of climate change and environmental degradation are occurring earlier and more frequently than predicted, and most disasters in recent years have been climate-related. For more information, click here