The IFRC’s Americas Regional Office works in support of 35 National Red Cross. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and its technical unit, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Americas
Mexican Red Cross has intensified their response mechanisms to support regions affected by the earthquake.
The Colombian Red Cross is currently piloting the use of ovitraps in 5 departments in the country.
As Irma was reaching Florida’s coast, Cuba continued to experience strong winds, torrential rains and unprecedented wave surges. On Sunday, flooding continued on the island’s north coast.
During the early hours of 6 September, catastrophic hurricane Irma made landfall on St Kitts and Nevis – a tiny two island nation in the Caribbean. The immediate impact of the storm caused damage to houses and other buildings, and electrical power outage.
Havana / Panama, September 10 – As Hurricane Irma leaves the Cuban territory behind, the government is hesitant to lift cyclonic alerts in many of the locations, as storm winds and torrential rains persist, making damage assessments that much more diff …
- Director: Walter Cotte
- Deputy Director: Jan Gelfand
Country cluster support teams
- South Cone and Brazil Country Cluster: Alex Claudon
- Andean Country Cluster: Michele Di Tomasso
- Central America Country Cluster: Nelson Aly / El Salvador – Guatemala: Marissa Soberanis / Panama: Roxana Trigo
- Latin Caribbean Country Cluster: Ines Brill
- English speaker Caribbean: Josephine Shield
Recent press releases
- Paraguayan Red Cross
- Peruvian Red Cross
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Red Cross Society
- Saint Lucia Red Cross
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Red Cross
- Salvadorean Red Cross Society
- Suriname Red Cross
- The Bahamas Red Cross Society
- Trinidad and Tobago Red Cross Society
- Uruguayan Red Cross
- Venezuelan Red Cross
The Zika, dengue and chikungunya prevention toolkit is intended to be used with the Zika, dengue and chikungunya prevention modules. The toolkit features full-colour imagery, interactive formats and games material to teach all audiences according to the methodology suggested in the module guides.