The Uganda Red Cross Society was admitted to the IFRC in 1965. In 2016, it counted 7,100 active volunteers (up from 4,746 in 2009), of which 80% were male and 20% female.
Latest news from Uganda Red Cross Society
On 11 June, the first case of Ebola in Uganda was confirmed—and soon after, a total of three were confirmed. Our fear of Ebola spreading to Uganda became a reality. [Since publishing, an additional confirmed case tested positive on 29 August]. There ar …
Communities living along the porous borders of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) remain at high risk of the spread of Ebola. Thousands cross each day to sell and buy goods, tend to their farm and visit family and friends. With the epicenter of DRC’s largest Ebola outbreak only 100 kilometers away from the Ugandan border, it is crucial to contain and stop the virus from spreading.
In 2018, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent responded to 34 emergencies in 22 countries across Africa where millions were affected by natural disasters, epidemics, population movement, complex emergencies and food insecurity. Af …
Follow Irene Nakasiita, Uganda Red Cross Communications Coordinator, as she reports from Parolinya Settlement where Red Cross is supporting thousands of refugees seeking safety from neighbouring South Sudan Reporting by: Irene Nakasiita Under the scorc …
Lack of clean water and inadequate sanitation remains one of the biggest health concerns in any overcrowded refugee camp.
As of this week, a new Red Cross water treatment facility in Arua District started pumping over 400,000 litres of water a day from the Nile River into storage tanks, where it is filtered, treated and tested for quality, before being trucked to nearby Rhino Camp, currently home to 86,000 refugees.
- Out-going President: Mr Bishop TOM OKELLO
- Chairman for the Central Governing Board: Mr Joseph OMILMOT
- Vice-Chairman: Ms Betty OMONY
- Secretary General: Mr Robert KWESIGA
- Honorary Treasurer: Hon Stephen TASHOBYA
- Director of Disaster Management: Mr Bob AKANKWASA
- Director of Finance: Mr Ezen KAVUMA
- Coordinator – Human Resource and Administration: Ms Orwin TUMUHIRWE
- Ag. Manager Internal Audit: Mr Moses BAGARUKAYO
- Ag. Manager, Program Monitoring , Evaluation & Research: Mr Alex MUGYISHA
- Coordinator – Resource Mobilisation: Ms Evelyn BABUMBA MWASA
- Coordinator Supply Chain Management / Logistics: Mr Naphtal BAGUMA
- Coordinator – Youth / Organizational Development: Ms Florence AJOK ODOCHI
- Coordinator – PR & Communication: Ms Irene NAKASIITA
- Director Health & Social Services: Dr Thomas MALINGA
- Legal Adviser: Mr Alex LUGANDA