Nepal Red Cross Society was admitted to the IFRC in 1965. In 2015, it counted 21,109 active volunteers (up from 20,000 in 2009). Most recently it has been instrumental in the immediate and long-term response to the earthquakes in Kahtmandu.
Latest news from Nepal Red Cross Society
Whenever Deepak Giri remembers the tragic events in the early hours of August 14, 2017, he cannot help but relive a powerful mix of emotions. “I would feel exhausted. At times scared, but also happy to have played a role in my community,” the 29-year-old says.
Juusman Tharu, 50, and her family have spent the last week clearing the mud and debris from their house in western Nepal. Her husband has now started to repair the damage, using all the materials he can gather together. But all is far from well.
For Sushama Khatiwada, saving lives and helping people as part of the Nepal Red Cross Society is a family affair.
Some families dealing with the effects of the recent devastating floods in Nepal are struggling to reestablish their livelihoods after losing everything.
A piercing wail cuts through the heat of the neighbourhood as female mourners return from their ritual bath. They make their way to the house of a flood victim, where a Hindu prayer ceremony, or puja is to be held.
When the murky brown waters of the swollen river Singiehi battered her southern Nepal house to pieces, Amita Devi managed to save her five children and her identity card. But that was it. “Everything else was swept away,” she says as she stands by the …
Nepal Red Cross Society videos
- Chairman: Mr. Sanjiv THAPA
- Secretary General: Mr. Dev Ratna DHAKHWA
- Treasurer General: Mr. Devendra Bahadur PRADHAN
- Acting Executive Director: Mr. Indra BAHADUR KC
- Head of Earthquake Response Operations: Mr. Umesh DHAKAL
- Head of Organization Development Department: Mr. Bishnu Hari DEVKOTA
- Director of Blood Transfusion Service Department: Ms. Manita Raj KARNIKAR
- Director of Community Development Department: Mr. Akarshan PRADHAN
- Acting Director for Junior and Youth Red Cross Department: Mr. Sudarshan ADHIKARI
- Acting Director for Disaster Management Department: Mr. Dharma Raj PANDEY
- Acting Director Finance Department: Mr. Dharma Dutta BIDARI
- Acting Director for Health Service Department: Mrs. Mona ARYAL
- Acting Director for Human Resource Management Department: Mr. Rishi Raman KHANAL
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Coordinator: Ms Puja KOIRALA
- Head of Humanitarian Value and Communication Department: Mr. Dibya Raj POUDEL