Bangladesh Red Crescent Society was admitted to the IFRC in 1973. In 2015, it counted 61,331 active volunteers (up from 2,000 in 2011).
Since 25 August 2017, more than 609,000 people have crossed the Myanmar-Bangladesh border, fleeing violence in northern areas of Myanmar’s Rakhine State.
Latest news from [page_title]
Beauty Khatun, 35, was living a peaceful life with her farmer husband and three children in one of the most remote areas of Bhandarbari, Bangladesh, when a flood changed everything. One night, while Beauty and her family were fast asleep, the Jamuna River, located several hundred meters from her home overflowed and swept through their entire village.
Before the latest influx of hundreds of thousands of people from Myanmar’s Rakhine state began in August last year, Laila Begum says the area close to her house was nothing but forest, with elephants roaming through the vegetation.
Rashida hasn’t heard any news of her husband since the family’s house was set ablaze, he was taken away and she and her children fled from Myanmar’s Rakhine State to safety in Bangladesh. She says she is sure he must be dead, otherwise he too would have joined them.
Laila Begum, 25, is whisked in to the emergency tent at the Red Cross field hospital, in the heart of Kutupalong camp in Bangladesh, just a few kilometers from the Myanmar border. Laila is worried about her six-month-old daughter, who has a fever and is struggling to breathe.
By Francis Markus, IFRC The radiologist opens the bamboo gate to the X-ray tent and four year old Nur Kolima heads gingerly in to lie down on the bed for his image to be taken. His mother, Fatima, is taking no chances with his cough symptoms. “I had th …
In recent months, over 600,000 people have fled violence in Rakhine Province, Myanmar. The Bangladesh Red Crescent Society, with support from IFRC is helping hundreds of thousands of families on the border.
- Chairman: Mr. Hafiz Ahmed MAZUMDAR
- Vice-Chairman: Prof. Dr. MP. Habibe MILLAT
- Treasurer: Advocate Tauhidur RAHMAN
- Secretary General: Mr. Huq MOZHARUL
- Deputy Secretary General: Mr. K. Jakaria KHALED
- Director of Finance: Mr. MD Jahir UDDIN
- Director Planning and Development Department: Mr. Md. Matiur RAHMAN
- Director IR and Communication: Mr. M.A. HALIM
- Director of Health: Mr. Sirajul Islam MOLLA
- Director of Logistics: Mr. Md. Afsar UDDIN
- Director for Training: Mr. M.A. HALIM
- Director of Fundraising: Mr. Imam Zafor SIKDER
- Director of Disaster Risk Management: Mr. Ekram Elahi CHOWDHURY
- Director of Community Development: Mr. Nazmul Azam KHAN
- Director of Unit (Branch) Affairs: Mr. Md. Nur Islam KHAN
- In charge of Internal Audit: Mr. A.H.M. Mainul ISLAM
- Director of Disaster Response: Mr. Md. Belai HOSSAIN
- Director of Estates: Mr. K. F. RAHMAN
- Director of Youth and Volunteers: Mr. Sikder Mokaddes AHMED
- Assistant Director of RFL / Tracing Services: Mr. A. K. M. MOHSIN
- Director (Operation) CPP: Mr. Khairul Anam KHAN