The IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Office works in support of 38 National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and Country Offices, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Asia Pacific
Before the latest influx of hundreds of thousands of people from Myanmar’s Rakhine state began in August last year, Laila Begum says the area close to her house was nothing but forest, with elephants roaming through the vegetation.
Rashida hasn’t heard any news of her husband since the family’s house was set ablaze, he was taken away and she and her children fled from Myanmar’s Rakhine State to safety in Bangladesh. She says she is sure he must be dead, otherwise he too would have joined them.
Laila Begum, 25, is whisked in to the emergency tent at the Red Cross field hospital, in the heart of Kutupalong camp in Bangladesh, just a few kilometers from the Myanmar border. Laila is worried about her six-month-old daughter, who has a fever and is struggling to breathe.
Four days after tropical storm Tembin made landfall in Mindanao, thousands of survivors are still in desperate need of humanitarian assistance.
By Francis Markus, IFRC The radiologist opens the bamboo gate to the X-ray tent and four year old Nur Kolima heads gingerly in to lie down on the bed for his image to be taken. His mother, Fatima, is taking no chances with his cough symptoms. “I had th …
Country cluster support teams
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Beijing: Gwendolyn Pang
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Delhi: Leon Prop
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Bangkok: Marwan Jilani
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Indonesia & Timor-Leste: Giorgio Ferrario
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Pacific: Kathryn Clarkson
- Head of Country Office, Afghanistan: Ariel Kestens
- Head of Country Office, Bangladesh: Azmat Ulla
- Head of Delegation, DPRK: TBA
- Head of Country Office, Myanmar: Joy Singhal
- Head of Country Office, Nepal: Juja Kim
- Acting Head of Country Office, Pakistan: Benoit Porte
- Head of Country Office, Philippines: Chris Staines
Recent press releases
Focus: World First Aid Day 2017
On 9 September 2017, the world marks World First Aid Day, an annual opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of first aid knowledge and skills to save lives, and to advocate for these to be accessible to everyone. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s leading first aid provider. For more than 100 years, first aid has been one of the principal services provided by Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers and staff to injured people.
This year, Prudence Foundation in partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), will launch its regional SAFE STEPS First Aid campaign.
Learn more here