The IFRC’s Asia Pacific Regional Office works in support of 38 National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies. Through its Country Cluster Support Teams and Country Offices, it provides coordination, financial and technical support for disaster operations and longer term development programmes throughout the region.
Latest news from Asia Pacific
Thanks to its unique mandate, the Red Cross is one of few humanitarian organizations working in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). Åsa Sandberg, Head of Desk at the Swedish Red Cross, has just returned from a field visit to the country.
By Hanna Butler, IFRC Located across the Ring of Fire and at the centre of the Pacific cyclone belt is Vanuatu, one of the most disaster-prone countries in the world. At the frontline of disasters in Vanuatu is Augustin Garae Vanuatu Red Cross’ Disaste …
Mohamed Sofiaed and his son, Mohamed Arfat, age 2, fled Rakhine state in October 2017. They arrived in Kutupalong mega-camp after days of walking on end. Their temporary shelter is perched on a hillside that could give way when monsoon rains arrive.
Kutupalong – Balukhali, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. 12 June 2018. As monsoon season sets in, Red Cross Red Crescent partners are keeping on with shelter relief in spite of monsoon rain pouring in the camps for three days and counting. People need this hel …
Manaro Voui, the active volcano which forms the island of Ambae in Vanuatu, has been erupting since September last year, killing crops, polluting the air and water, and forcing people to flee their homes.
Country cluster support teams
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Beijing: Gwendolyn Pang
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Delhi: Leon Prop
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Bangkok: Marwan Jilani
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Indonesia & Timor-Leste: Giorgio Ferrario
- Head of Country Cluster Support Team, Pacific: Kathryn Clarkson
- Head of Country Office, Afghanistan: Ariel Kestens
- Head of Country Office, Bangladesh: Azmat Ulla
- Head of Delegation, DPRK: TBA
- Head of Country Office, Myanmar: Joy Singhal
- Head of Country Office, Nepal: Juja Kim
- Acting Head of Country Office, Pakistan: Benoit Porte
- Head of Country Office, Philippines: Chris Staines
Recent press releases
Focus: World First Aid Day 2017
On 9 September 2017, the world marks World First Aid Day, an annual opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of first aid knowledge and skills to save lives, and to advocate for these to be accessible to everyone. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s leading first aid provider. For more than 100 years, first aid has been one of the principal services provided by Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers and staff to injured people.
This year, Prudence Foundation in partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), will launch its regional SAFE STEPS First Aid campaign.
Learn more here