Young people play an active role in creating, maintaining, and rebuilding the social fabric of societies. In disasters, crises and conflict settings, young people have demonstrated the potential to build bridges across communities, work together, introduce new innovations, and engage at scale in communities to help manage crises and promote peace and well-being.
Resources are available on a range of topics:
- Social inclusion and peace-building — Youth as Agents of Behavioural Change (YABC) is the IFRC’s flagship initiative on the promotion of a culture of non-violence and peace. Created in 2008, this programme seeks to empower individuals to take up an ethical leadership role in their community, promoting changes of mindsets, attitudes and behaviours, in harmony with Humanitarian Principles.
- Introduction brochure
- IFRC overview page
- Sample YABC content
- Videos of YABC in action — short video (2.5 min) | demonstration from Mali (4 min)
- Safe shelter and communities — The Participatory Approach for Safe Shelter Awareness (PASSA) is a methodology which provides tools to communities to improve their living space, build safe houses and design better communities through a participatory approach geared towards adults.
- Online platform
- Manual and toolkit
- Videos of PASSA Youth in action — short video (2.5 min) | long video (11 min)
- New digital engagement opportunities (coming soon)— The PASSA for Youth program in 2018 received an award from the Facebook Community Leader program. Funds and other award support from Facebook are now being used to i) better capture and enable further usage of the extensive data and information captured within the PASSA for Youth activities an the community level on vulnerabilities, hazards, and risks, as well as on activities and solutions for addressing those risks and ii) enable greater real-time social media engagement among youth participating in the program. See this interview with Jaime Mok from Habitat for Humanity International, a program partner with the IFRC in PASSA and PASSA for Youth.
- Climate change adaptation — Y-Adapt is a game-based curriculum for young people to learn about climate change and take practical action to introduce adaptation activities in their communities to reduce the impacts of extreme-weather events.
Source: Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre